Here are quick ways to tell if a chipmunk is dying or not:
- Hit by a car, or attacked by a dog/cat.
ALSO SEE: Do Squirrels Eat Mealworms in the UK?
How to Comfort a Dying Chipmunk
- Place any dogs or cats into another room.
- Call in the vet/animal and see what they can do
- If there’s nothing they can do, then you should whack it with a shovel and put it out of it’s misery. Killing it is far kinder than letting it go on.
- Another option would be to put a bucket over it or put dry ice in the bottom of a small container, put cardboard over it so their little paws don’t get cold, and cover tightly. This works very quickly, no whacking involved, and you can buy dry ice in a chunk at Baskin-Robbins (at least around here). Cheaper than a vet for small rodent.
- OR You could take it to a vet. Sign a Good Samaritan statement which will prevent you from being responsible (financially and otherwise) of its treatment and care.
Do not try to handle the animal without gloves on. It could have rabies and the safety pf you and your family are more important.
Lastly, you could bury it yourself.
Leave a Reply