You may ask what is salt free water softeners and How does the water softener system work? Depending on the model, a water softener operates in several ways. They all work in the same way: softening and energizing water before entering the home.
While some water softeners remove the minerals that lead to water hardness, others restructure these minerals to not build upon water fixtures and produce scaling.
|NAME||WHERE TO BUY|
|FilterSmart FS500, our most popular salt-free water softener.||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|FutureSoft Salt-Free Water Conditioner with Pre-Filtration by Springwell||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|American Water Infrastructure Salinity-Free Water Purifier by GreenWave|
7 Best Salt-Free Water Softeners
FilterSmart FS500, our most popular salt-free water softener.
The FilterSmart FS500, in our perspective, is the best salt-free water softener in 2022. This is because it is structured based on Pattern Supported Crystallization, or TAC (Template Assisted Crystallization) for short, which has been demonstrated to minimize hard water scaling by up to 99.6%. (Study)
What is TAC, and how does it work?
TAC is used as catalytic media to crystallize the minerals that make up water hardness, primarily calcium and magnesium. These hardness minerals cannot cling to pipes or other surfaces in their crystal form, so they remain suspended during their travel through your home’s water system.
As a result, your plumbing and appliances are safe from scaling. Furthermore, any current scale formation will rapidly disintegrate. For example, this will improve the efficiency of your water heater, resulting in longer lifespans with less maintenance and repairs.
- Warranty: Lifetime
- 12-15 GPM flow rate
- Method: TAC
- Water: For a group of up to 6 people
- In research published by Arizona State University, the effectiveness of TAC was confirmed.
- The large majority of people are pleased with their outcomes.
- The manufacturer is highly efficient regardless of the gpg (millet per gallon) water hardness level.
- TAC doesn’t use chemicals. There’s no reason to be concerned about your drinking water being contaminated.
- Water treated by the FilterSmart FS500 does not feel slippery, unlike conventional soft water.
- Because soap and shampoo lather better with conditioned water, it encourages healthy skin and hair.
- Hard water streaks are often less noticeable and easier to remove.
- The water retains all vital minerals, which implies they contribute to the standard nutritional requirements.
- The catalytic media bed will last 1,000,000 gallons or five years when used as directed and will not need to be replaced.
- Using this method will save a significant amount of time and money.
- The Vortech-style tank prevents channelling and ensures even water flow. Additionally, the produced vortex twists the material, allowing more water contact time.
- Increases the efficacy of the conditioning process.
- You can pick between two system sizes:
- Smaller size: 12 gallons per minute (GPM) water flow, suitable for 1-3 bathrooms
- Larger capacity: 15 gallons per minute for 4-6 bathrooms.
- A string-wound pre-filter eliminates silt to prevent clogging of the catalytic media tank. Every 6-10 months, this item should be replaced. Approximately $23-39 per year on average.
- For safety, a stainless steel lid can be added to the black fibreglass tank.
- NSF/WQA certification is on all parts.
- It was created to be installed by the user. The package includes a user handbook, an instructional film, and an installation kit.
- Except for changing the filter, no maintenance is necessary.
- The salt-free water conditioner includes a 90-day money-back guarantee and a lifetime warranty.
- The support was excellent.
Pretreatment is required if the water contains iron, manganese, sulphur, copper, or other pollutants that could foul the media bed.
FutureSoft Salt-Free Water Conditioner with Pre-Filtration by Springwell
Our second favourite salt-free water softener is the Springwell FutureSoft. It makes use of the same tried-and-true technology found in FilterSmart systems. On the other hand, the latter is less expensive, which is where the Springwell FutureSoft salt-free water conditioner comes in.
What is the difference in price? You could spend up to a few hundred dollars based on which model you pick for comparison. Regardless, this is a great alternative to consider!
- 12-20 GPM flow rate
- Water: Suitable for a group of up to 6 people
- A salt-free water softener renders them safe by turning calcium and magnesium in hard water into nanocrystals. According to a study, up to 99.6% of scale is prevented throughout the home, and existing deposits are finally cleaned out.
- The manufacturer’s maximum hardness level is 81 grains per gallon.
- There is no need to backwash or recharge the media. It conserves water.
- All other advantages are as stated previously.
- Choose from the pools of options available, depending on the size of your family:
- The FutureSoft FS1 delivers 12 gallons per minute and is suitable for 1-3 bathrooms.
- 15 pm, 4-6 bathrooms
- Twenty gallons per minute, perfect for households with more than seven bathrooms.
- A particle filter pre-conditions the water to prevent clogging and fouling in the huge conditioning tank by eliminating sand, silt, rust, and other particles.
- Change once or twice a year at the cost of $40-55 each year.
- Installing the system on your own is possible. You get the full package you order for.
- The only thing you need to do is to replace the filter.
- For the first six months following purchase, you’ll get a full refund and a lifetime warranty.
- Excellent service for the client.
- Following are the requirements for feed water:
- Ferrous 0.3 parts per million.
- Manganese is less than 0.05 ppm.
- Copper content is less than 1.3 parts per million.
- Catalytic TAC media beds must be pre-treated to eliminate sulphur and other impurities that could clog them.
American Water Infrastructure Salinity-Free Water Purifier by GreenWave
Two things set the USWS GreenWave apart from the FilterSmart/Springwell:
- It uses NAC (Nucleation Assisted Crystallization) to keep your pipes from being clogged.
- It makes use of a Vortech tank, which increases the treatment’s efficiency even further.
Is it a good idea to invest?
- Method: NAC
- 10 to 25 gallons per minute
- Up to seven or more people can drink from this container of water.
- Lifetime, 4 Year Warranty
- USA origin.
- Using a catalytic NAC process, calcium and magnesium ions are converted to nontoxic microcrystals that float on the water’s surface.
- It does not call for salt, so no salt is needed.
- Zero waste is good for the environment.
- There is no need for power.
- Filtersorb SP3 can handle water hardness of 81 grains per gallon.
- To prevent media channelling and ensure equal water flow, the Vortech tank is used. Swirls the media to keep hardness minerals in contact for a more extended time.
- The process of conditioning is made even more effective due to this.
- There are four different unit sizes to select from:
- The GW-100 has a 10 GPM service flow rate for 1-2 bathrooms.
- The GW-150 delivers up to 15 GPM, making it appropriate for 2 to 3.5 baths.
- The GW-200 has a flow rate of 20 GPM, which is enough to service 4 to 6 bathrooms.
- The GW-250 is for bathrooms with seven or more (25 GPM).
- Because of the built-in bypass, it’s straightforward to set up.
- There’s no need for programming, and it’s almost maintenance-free.
- The media is intended to last for 4-6 years.
- The tank head and the Vortech tank come with a lifetime warranty.
- Pretreatment of private well water is most likely required. Iron concentrations greater than 0.3 ppm, manganese concentrations greater than 0.05 ppm, any sulphur, copper concentrations greater than 1.3 ppm, and chlorine concentrations greater than 0.05 ppm must all be eliminated.
- Every contaminant that can taint the material should be screened out first.
- The spiral carbon filter is an optional addition that removes chlorine and other pollutants.
Salt-Free Water Softening System SoftPro Elite
Another legitimate competitor to the FilterSmart FS500 system discussed above is Quality Water Treatment’s SoftPro Elite. The only dissimilarity is that the former is a little less expensive. As a result, the risk-free trial time is substantially shorter, and FilterSmart’s customer support is superior.
In any case, the SoftPro Elite uses Template Assisted Crystallization to transform hard water minerals into crystal form, which minimizes scale buildup and helps previous deposits fade away over time. The advantages are that water heater, washing machines, and other equipment last longer and function better, and your piping requires less maintenance and repairs.
- Method: TAC
- 12 GPM flow rate
- Water: For a group of up to 4-5 people
- Warranty: Lifetimes
- Warranty: Lifetimes
- The procedure can be used on the water with a hardness of 17 grains per gallon.
- TAC media won’t change the pH of your water or add anything to it.
- All of the necessary minerals have been retained.
- There’s no salt, and there aren’t any chemicals.
- There is no need to renew a salt-free softener; thus, there is no water waste.
- Service at midnight For households with 1-3 bathrooms, the water flow is ideal.
- For high silt levels, a 20-inch sediment filter is included.
- The catalytic material bed might become clogged if there are too many sediments.
- Replace the filter every three months. The annual fee is $40.
- If you desire to install it yourself, it comes entirely constructed.
- Hoses with quick connections are included as a gift.
- Except for filter refills, it requires no maintenance.
- If you are not comfortable with the product after 60 days, you can return it for a full refund.
- For added peace of mind, the system comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Cons iron and hydrogen sulphide must be absent from the water.
Eddy Salt-Free Water Conditioner (Electronic)
Eddy Electronic will be on our top salt-free electronic water conditioner. It generates electromagnetic waves by wrapping its wires around the flowing water pipe, which reduce the scaling impacts of hard water by approximately 50%.
- Water: For Small to Medium-Sized Houses
- Warranty: Lifetimes
- Warranty: Lifetimes
- Compared to salt-free water softening systems, the Eddy Electronic is quite economical.
- The cost of power is insignificant.
- Two wires are included to wrap from around the main feedwater pipe. The wires produce electromagnetic waves that change the adhesion qualities of complex water ions, preventing them from sticking to pipes and other surfaces.
- All of the beneficial minerals are maintained.
- It can be used with both municipal and well water.
- Hard water levels of up to 20 grains per gallon, according to the manufacturer, can be managed.
- The maximum pipe diameter allowed is 1.5 inches.
- No plumbing is required, and installation takes only a few minutes.
- They were designed to fit into small areas.
- Almost maintenance-free.
- Global safety protocols (CE + FCC) have been met.
- You have a risk-free satisfaction guarantee that permits you to cancel the order for a full refund for one year.
- Warranty on repairs and replacements for the rest of your life.
- Only a tiny percentage of consumers reported beneficial outcomes.
- It would not work with coated or iron pipes.
P3 P7920 (Magnetic)
Like Eddy Electronic’s magnetic water softening system, the P3 P7920 sounds like a robot but is a salt-free softening device that uses magnets. The water’s ionic minerals produce big particles that are less likely to adhere to any given surface. We’re talking about a reduction in scale buildup of around a third to a half in terms of efficiency.
- Method: Magnetic
- Maximum Permeable Diameter of Water: –
- Large and small homes alike can benefit from water.
- Ten years of warranty
- This is a great deal. The P3’s pricing is unmatched in the industry.
- Plastic sections that fit around the water pipe are encased with permanent magnets.
- No technical skills are required.
- Compact and ideal for confined spaces.
- A ten-year warranty is offered.
- Only 34-inch pipe diameter is compatible with salt-free softening.
- Some people didn’t see a beneficial outcome.
Crystal Quest saltless water softener
Using TAC, the Crystal Quest saltless water softener is yet another method of water softening that doesn’t utilize salt. Again, reducing the scale by more than 90% is feasible. And old accumulation in pipes and the like will eventually dissipate.
The Crystal Quest’s pre-and post-filtration ensures that the conditioned water it produces is both healthful to drink and delicious. You’ll have to spend a lot of money if you want to buy American-made goods. There are four stars.
- Method: TAC
- Water: for a family of up to six
- Filtration System plus Water Softening
- Warranty: One Year
- Big particles may be removed using a 20-inch pleated sediment pre-filter rated at 5 microns. Increases the softening resin’s useful life.
- Hard water scaling is eliminated in stage two using the catalytic anti-scale medium. All of the advantages stated above are included.
- This 20-inch coconut shell carbon filter block can remove all types of pollutants and VOCs.
- Microorganisms, comprising bacteria and viruses, and “most other water chemical contaminants known today” are all filtered out by a 20-inch ultrafiltration module rated at.2 microns (source: Crystal Quest).
- Upgrade from fibreglass to stainless steel tanks for an increased lifetime; this is an option.
- Adding more water filter stages makes this process more time-intensive and less straightforward to set up.
- Low upkeep is required.
- There are two types of filters: pre-and post-filters. The annual cost ranges from $80 to $125.
- For up to ten years, the catalytic softening medium can be used.
- Crystal Quest offers a one-year warranty.
If the water contains excessive quantities of iron, copper, manganese, hydrogen sulphide or phosphate, it may be essential to cleanse the water before using it.
Contact the Crystal Quest customer service team for assistance with this.
Do Salt-Free Water Softeners remove Iron?
Small amounts of iron are removed from water by salt-free water softeners, but these systems cannot handle water with significant iron levels. Water softeners are best in these circumstances.
How can I know whether my Water Softener is Functioning Correctly?
Adding a water softener to your water supply will help avoid the buildup of deposits on your sinks, faucets, and toilets. When taking a shower or bath, minimal soap and shampoo should produce suds. The effectiveness of a water softener can be measured using a basic water hardness test kit.
What is the better way to Clean my Salt-Free Water Softener?
The majority of salt-free water softeners don’t need to be cleaned. Filter-based water purification systems are self-contained and do not need to be cleaned. When the filter expires, replace it. Electromagnetic water softeners with pipe-fitting coils are relatively low-maintenance. Check the device regularly to ensure that dust and grime are not gathering around the coils. If this is the case, scoop up any dirt.
What is the Expected Lifespan of My Salt-Free Water Softener?
The sort of salt-free water softener will determine this. Electromagnetic water softening might last up to 40 years or over, while a filter-based encased water softener might last up to 6 years until needing to be replaced.
There are salt-free and salt-based water softeners available. Both of these methods can address the problems created by hard water. The distinction is that, unlike salt-based water softeners, salt-free water softeners, also known as water conditioners, do not extract any hard minerals from the water. Instead, they cancel out their scaling effects.
Both strategies have a legitimate place in the world. The most significant advantages of salt-free systems over salt-based systems are the following:
- Limescale deposits that have already formed can be removed.
- Many of the systems don’t require any maintenance at all.
- None of them requires the use of salt or water to rejuvenate.